Wednesday, March 11, 2015

On My Death Bed



Lists are beautiful things.  They keep us organized and on track with our goals, and we tend to accomplish more when working from a list that we have taken the time to create. It's as if we're making some unspoken commitment to ourselves that compels us to actually do the stuff on the list.  And as an added bonus, it's hugely satisfying to cross items off the list.  Imagine taking a long draw off a cigarette and slowly letting out the smoke in perfect little circles.  I wouldn't really know for sure since I've never smoked, but for some reason I feel like it would feel the same. Deeply satisfying.

There are people who obsessively make lists for everything and then there's people like me, who try to keep track of most everything in their heads on little digital mind lists, which used to work just fine until I had kids and is now one of my biggest failures.  And let's face it.....those of you who know me are aware that I am the opposite of organized, so for me to engage in an activity that involves organization is highly unlikely.  However.......I do make two kinds of lists: The OMG I'm So Overwhelmed List and the traditional Bucket List; the former to maintain some level of sanity so that I don't go screaming about like a mad woman and the latter to fulfill a desire that may even outweigh my desire to maintain my sanity.  Let's be real......my sanity is probably a lost cause at this point anyway.  I mean, I live in a house with three male humans and two male felines, where farting is a source of amusement, Captain Crunchberries is the preferred meal, and the seat is always left up.

Back to the lists.  The OMG list, for example, was employed for the move to Alaska.  Holy moly there was a lot to do!  Packing, passports, school records and enrollments, cat physicals, selling stuff, travel arrangements, housing issues, cleaning (ok, so maybe I didn't do that much cleaning), I could go on and on.  And that was just on the homefront.  I had a full time job to wrap up too. Have I mentioned before that I'm glad that whole moving thing is over?

So let's talk about that other desire of mine, the one I said might just outweigh my desire to keep my sanity.  Do you ever think about when your time here on this Earth will come to an end?  That moment when you're lying on your death bed, knowing you're about done and thinking back on your life?  I do.  I know not everyone gets that.....that time to reflect.  I could get hit by a wayward bush plane tomorrow and never see it coming. But I prefer to envision myself old and gray, lying in bed at home reflecting back on a life well lived.  Key word being LIVED, which for me means seeing and doing as much as I possibly can on this amazing planet that has so much to offer in the way of seeing and doing.  Enter Brandy list #2, the Bucket List.  I'm organized about the things that matter, people.  So my kitchen counter and desk might make your skin crawl if you enjoy things neat and tidy.  But my adventures in this life will be meticulously planned and documented so that when I'm lying there in my bed, preferably on high quality memory foam, I'll be like.....Hell yeah......I lived.  And I had fun doing it.

I think Alaska probably shows up on a lot of people's bucket lists.  It's raw beauty, wildlife, the northern lights, the whole last frontier thing......there is much to dream about. Because that's what bucket lists are.......our list of dreams. 

I decided Alaska needed it's own sub-list on my bucket list of life, so I started compiling it based off of things Joe had heard about while working here, but mostly from the one source everyone uses these days to find stuff and organize it......Pinterest. And then I got all crazy in PhotoShop and made it all nice and pretty on one of the photos I had taken on the ferry. Here it is:




I am technically challenged, so no judging! And please pretend that the Iditarod line is lined through, because I created this before we attended it and now cannot figure how to edit it.  As I said.....I am challenged.  I am ok with it. 

Yes, I want to see a grizzly bear and it needs to be in a river, preferably fishing for salmon. I have this picture in my mind and I want to replace it with a real one. It just seems like that scene is the epitome of Alaska. 

So far I'm off to a great start, already 6 things crossed off in just 2 1/2 months! Here's a quick run down.  I'll be doing more detailed posts about each later.
  1. Northern Lights - I've already mentioned the aurora in a previous post.  I said it there and I'll say it again, if it's not on your bucket list yet, add it.  Words cannot describe it or the wonder you feel when standing beneath it as it dances and swirls over your head.
  2. Fly over a glacier - For my birthday in February, we headed to Anchorage and took a flightseeing tour of the Knik Glacier.  Kind of like the Northern Lights, glaciers fascinate me. This thing is 25 miles long, 5 miles wide, thousands of years old and absolutely stunning. 
    Before takeoff.  I knew the plane would be small but geesh!



  3. See a moose - We have a mama and baby moose who live in our neighborhood somewhere. They have come to visit us twice.  The second time we were BBQing in the evening in the backyard and when I went out on the deck I was startled by a large, dark, shadowy figure standing right next to the deck!  It was baby moose munching on some vegetation sticking up through the snow.  We got a little worried when it wandered into this small fenced dog kennel next to the house.  I imagined it not being able to find it's way out and starting to panic, thrashing it's way out.  Mama to the rescue!  She was off in the side yard and when the panic started she mosied over and must have told it to look for the door, because it did and found it's way out.  Moms are great that way.
    Baby by the deck. Bad pic because I was in a hurry!

    Don't go in there, baby!

    Mama in driveway
  4. Take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry through the Inside Passage - Ahhhhh......beautiful scenery, great sleep.....read all about it here.  
  5. Attend an Iditarod start or finish - Lucky for us the 2015 Iditarod start was moved to Fairbanks due to lack of snow on the usual route.  What an amazing experience! The dogs were spectacular and the excitement palpitable.  More on the Iditarod start to come in another post!
    The boys are in ninja training.


    Ready to run!
  6. Attend the World Ice Art Championships - Simply amazing what a person can do with ice, chainsaws, chisels, irons and all kinds of other tools!  I'll be doing a separate post on this as well, as we still need to go back and see the multi block entries that were under construction the first time we went.  For now, all I'll say is that the artistry of ice sculpture is breathtaking.



I have left some blank lines on my Alaska Bucket List because I expect it to grow as we discover new and exciting things to do and see here.........if I ever figure out how to edit it.


Alright people!  It's time for a........



I want to know what's on your bucket list, cause I love ya.  Leave a comment below telling me what's on your dream list or better yet, post a pic of yourself doing something from your bucket list.  A random winner will be chosen from the comments and will receive something super special from North Pole!  The winner will be chosen on Friday evening, so act now!

In the meantime......who remembers what movie this is from?  One of my favs!

"Welcome to Hollywood! What's your dream? Everybody comes here; this is Hollywood, land of dreams. Some dreams come true, some don't; but keep on dreamin' - this is Hollywood. Always time to dream, so keep on dreamin'."




9 comments:

  1. The #1 item on my bucket list is to visit Greece. As soon as I have enough money saved, that will be the first place I visit, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greece is in my top 3 countries to visit, Jen! So beautiful!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Greece is one of my top 5 vacation destinations on my bucket list too! In no particular order; Italy, Greece, Scandinavia, Hawaii and Alaska. I was fortunate enough to cross two off my list recently, Italy and Hawaii. I finally decided to stop making excuses and just do it. Next up an Alaskan cruise...hopefully sooner rather than later. So in the meantime, I am living my Alaskan adventure vicariously through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have you along on our adventure, Barbara! How awesome for you to have crossed off Italy and Hawaii! Italy is at the top of my destination list. I loved seeing all the pictures you posted on FB of your trip. Hopefully that cruise to Alaska will be departing soon! :)

      Delete
  4. I think the quote is from Pretty Woman...one of my sister's faves too! As far as the bucket list I would love to see Niagara Falls. I really enjoy your blogs Brandy. Sounds like you guys are having a great adventure. I admire your adventurous spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! You got it, the quote is from Pretty Woman. I would love to see Niagara Falls too, flying over it in a helicopter! :)

      Delete
  5. Yay! I just received my contest prize (a book, Alaska by Cruise Ship) and it's perfect! I am one of those hold outs that just loves a book in hand versus looking at a screen. Sure the internet is full of information but so are these guide books. Thank you for your thoughtfulness Brandy, it is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Barbara! Hopefully it will help you cross that Alaska Cruise off your bucket list sooner rather than later and make it a trip of a lifetime! Enjoy!

      Delete